Types of Wolves
Wild Wolves spawn in Taiga and Forest Biomes. Tamed Wolves do not spawn naturally.
Wild Wolves will turn hostile towards the Player if they, or nearby Wolves, are attacked. Aggressive Wolves have red eyes and their fur has a rumpled appearance. Their tail is also raised higher than Wild Wolves.
When a Wild Wolf is given one or more Bones, it will become a Tamed Wolf. Tamed Wolves follow the Player around the world, and teleport towards him/her if they are too far. They shake themselves dry after exiting any body of Water, and can be made to sit and stand by pressing the or the button respectively. Tamed Wolves will chase and kill Skeletons without provocation.
Wolves cannot be bred until they are tamed.
Wild Wolves do not have a large amount of health, hence they can easily be killed using a Sword. However, if there are more Wolves nearby, they will gang up on the Player, making combat difficult.
- In early Update 0.9.0 beta builds, Tamed Wolves had a black collar.
- Before Update 0.12.1, Wolves were the only tamable mobs in Minecraft.
- If Aggressive Wolves are successful in killing the Player, they will revert back to Neutral state.
- Feeding a Wolf Rotten Flesh makes their tails droop down.
- Llamas will not spit at Tamed Wolves.
- Tamed Wolves can enter love mode while sitting.
- However, they cannot breed until they are made to stand.
- Bedrock Exclusive: As of Update 0.16.0, Aggressive Wolves will damage the Player in Peaceful Difficulty.
- Bug: Before Update 0.10.0, Baby Wolves couldn't swim in deep water and would drown.
- Bug: In Update 0.13.1, Wolves' collars were white by default, and could not by dyed any other color.
- Tamed wolves show their health by the position of their tail.
PassiveSheep • Cow • Mooshroom • Pig • Bat • Villager • Chicken • Squid • Turtle • Rabbit • Panda • Ocelot • Fish • Bat
HostileZombie (Zombie Villager • Husk) • Skeleton (Stray) • Creeper • Slime • Spider • Cave Spider • Guardian • Vex • Vindicator • Evoker • Ghast • Blaze • Magma Cube • Wither Skeleton • Witch • Endermite • Shulker • Silverfish • Phantom • Drowned
NeutralZombie Pigman • Enderman • Spider • Cave Spider • Polar Bear • Dolphin • Wolf
TamableWolf • Cat • Horse • Llama • Parrot
BossesEnder Dragon • Wither • Elder Guardian
Utility MobsIron Golem • Snow Golem
JockeysSpider Jockey • Chicken Jockey