Pandas spawn in bamboo forests in Jungle Biomes. They can sometimes be spawned with different textures as follows:
- Normal panda: the default variant.
- Lazy panda: has a smiling face.
- Worried panda: has puppy eyes, similar to a tamed Wolf.
- Weak panda: has a snotty nose.
- Playful panda: has its mouth open and it’s tongue out.
- Aggressive panda: has large eyebrows and a rather grumpy expression.
- Brown panda: a brown-colored variant of the normal one.
- There can also be baby pandas of all the variants above.
Pandas have different behaviors according to their skin, but they have basic behaviors that apply to all variants.
All pandas walk slowly around the area where they spawn, grabbing bamboo stalks or bamboo items and cake off the ground, sitting up on their hind legs, and chomping on them. They also occasionally lie on their backs and sit up on their hind legs even without something to eat.
Baby pandas will occasionally sneeze, causing nearby adult pandas to jump and act startled. They also exhibit the behaviour of rolling around more than adult pandas (who are not under the playful variant)
- Normal panda: default behavior.
- Lazy panda: will lie down more often than regular pandas, are the slowest land mobs in the game, and will not interact with players or food items on the ground.
- Worried panda: will avoid most mobs except other pandas, and shake and hide their faces during thunderstorms.
- Weak panda: have half the health of a regular panda, and sneeze more often than other pandas. They have a rare chance to drop a slimeball when they sneeze.
- Playful panda: will roll around and jump more often than other pandas.
- Aggressive panda: these are neutral and will attack the player when it or other nearby pandas are hit.
- They will only attack once, just like Llamas.
- Brown panda: no specific behaviors other than the default ones, this variant is just a reskin of the original one.
- Villagers will display the Angry Villager Particle (the particle that displays when a Villager gets hit) if a panda is attacked near them.
- Before appearing in the game, aggressive pandas had an old texture used in Java edition beta testing that looked similar to a hostile wolf’s red eyes.
- For the developers to make the sound for the pandas, they went to China to record real ones.