Ores are resources that provide the Item that the Ore holds. They appear to be Stone (or Netherrack) blocks with the mineral or gem inside. Ores are necessary for the building of stronger Tools and weapons, and to Craft many Items.
List of ores
- Coal Ore - Can be mined with any Pickaxe.
- Iron Ore - Can be mined with a Stone Pickaxe or higher.
- Lapis Lazuli Ore - Can be mined with a Stone Pickaxe or higher.
- Gold Ore - Can be mined with an Iron Pickaxe or higher.
- Redstone Ore - Can be mined with an Iron Pickaxe or higher.
- Diamond Ore - Can be mined with an Iron Pickaxe or higher.
- Emerald Ore - Can be mined with a Iron Pickaxe or higher.
- Nether Quartz Ore - Can be mined with any Pickaxe.
Some Ores, like Diamond, Emerald, Redstone, Lapis Lazuli, Coal, and Nether Quartz provide the resource itself. Other ores like Iron and Gold provide the ore Block, which can be smelted into ingots of Iron or Gold.
- Coal Ore was the first Ore to be added into Minecraft
- Coal Ore (and rarely Iron Ore) can spawn at any height.
- Emerald Ore was added in the Update 0.9.0.
- Redstone Ore was unmineable till Update 0.8.0.
- Emeralds were originally going to be Rubies, but it was changed due to Dinnerbone's red-green colorblindness.
- Nether Quartz Ore was added in Update 0.12.1. It is the only ore that is found in the Nether.
- As of Update 0.10.0, Gold Ore can spawn at any height in the Mesa Biome.
- Before Update 0.12.1, Ores didn't drop Experience Orbs.
- Ores can be mined with Silk Touch and then smelted in a Furnace.
- However, this is considered a waste of resources.