Guardians swim around in water, attacking any Players or Squids that come into sight. They swim in abrupt charges, moving their tail rapidly when doing so. When swimming, their spikes retract. When not swimming they sink slowly and their spikes extend. When on land, they will jump around, but will not die.
Guardians have two methods of attack: a laser and a defensive thorn-like attack. Guardians primely use their laser, which cannot be dodged and penetrates Armor. The only way to escape the laser is to block it by obstructing the area between the Guardian and the Player.
When the Player gets too close, Guardians extend their Spikes. The Player will take damage when hitting a Guardian with outstretched spikes, similar to the Thorns Enchantment on armor.
The Player should wear strong Armor like Diamond Armor, as Guardians have extremely strong attacks. Using a Bow are recommended as the Player will seldom be able to get close enough to the Guardian unless using Boots enchanted with Depth Strider, in which case a Diamond Sword can also be used.
- A Guardian's eye is actually the "head" part of the mob's model. This gives the illusion of a dynamic eye.
- Underwater, Guardians emit deep, growl-like sounds, but on land they emit high-pitched squeaks. This probably reflects the fact that water can alter sounds.
- Guardians' laser-beam attacks are affected by the Potion of strength, which normally only affects melee attacks of Mobs.
- Guardians are one of the seven mobs that can spawn underwater, the other six being Elder Guardians, Dolphins, Turtles, squid, Drowned, and fish.
- Easter Egg: The texture files for the Guardian and the Elder Guardian have the signature of Jeb on it, as Jeb was the one who created them.
PassiveSheep • Cow • Mooshroom • Pig • Bat • Villager • Chicken • Squid • Turtle • Rabbit • Panda • Ocelot • Fish • Bat • Fox
HostileZombie (Zombie Villager • Husk) • Skeleton (Stray) • Creeper • Slime • Spider • Cave Spider • Guardian • Vex • Vindicator • Evoker • Ghast • Blaze • Magma Cube • Wither Skeleton • Witch • Endermite • Shulker • Silverfish • Phantom • Drowned
NeutralZombie Pigman • Enderman • Spider • Cave Spider • Polar Bear • Dolphin • Wolf
TamableWolf • Cat • Horse • Llama • Parrot
BossesEnder Dragon • Wither • Elder Guardian
Utility MobsIron Golem • Snow Golem
JockeysSpider Jockey • Chicken Jockey