The easiest way to locate a Dungeon is either to follow the sound of a Mob or locating the origin of a steady stream of a particular Mob type which can be spawned within a Dungeon.
In the center of the room, there is a Monster Spawner and 0-2 chests around the walls. The Monster Spawner in a Dungeon only spawns one type of Mob, from the following list:
As described in detail on the Monster Spawner page, it can be disabled by adequate lighting, or it can be destroyed using a Pickaxe. However, destroying the Monster Spawner is, in general, a bad idea, as Experience farms can easily be built around a Monster Spawner.
It is possible to find the following loot in a Dungeon:
|Group 1 count: 1-3|
|Enchanted Golden Apple||2/127||1.6%||1|
|Music Disc #13||15/127||11.8%||1|
|Gold Horse Armor||10/127||7.9%||1|
|Iron Horse Armor||15/127||11.8%||1|
|Diamond Horse Armor||5/127||3.9%||1|
|Group 2 count: 1-4|
|Group 3 count: 3|
|Based upon 1.7.0 behavior pack|
It's possible to access the loot in the Chests through holes from the sides of the Dungeon. If a hole is placed at floor level, neither of the Mobs can attack the Player with the exception of stray Arrows from Skeletons.
- Very rarely, one Dungeon may intersect with another, forming a double Dungeon.
- Sometimes, the Dungeon's Chests can spawn next to each other, creating a Double Chest.
- Dungeons are often used to farm Experience, due to the large amounts of Mobs which spawn in Dungeons.
- Bug: There was a bug where Chests were invisible. The Player could walk over them and bump into them, but could not access them.
- Bug: Before Update 0.9.4, there was a bug that caused the Monster Spawners to spawn Hostile Mobs, even when on Peaceful.
- Bug: In the Beta Builds for Update 0.15.0, there was a bug where Dungeons and Strongholds would not generate.
- There is a small chance that a Dungeon could spawn at Bedrock level.
- If the Player mined through the Cobblestone and Moss Stone, he/she could access the Void.
NaturalLava Pools • Tree (Fallen) • Caves • Ice Spikes • Giant Mushrooms • Moss Stone Boulders • Mineral Vein • Ravine • Fossil
Small StructuresWitch Hut • Desert Well • Igloo • Library • Dungeon
Large StructuresAbandoned Mineshaft (Mesa) • Woodland Mansion • Temples (Jungle | Desert) • Stronghold • Ocean Monument • Village • Shipwreck
Nether StructuresNether Fortress • Glowstone Cluster
End StructuresEnd City • Chorus Tree • End Portal • End Gateway Portal